“Culture is a widening of the mind and of the spirit”
- By Jawaharlal Nehru
The Hindu Temple of Lubbock holds Bal Vihar classes for children between the ages of 5-10 years, every Sunday from 1.00 to 2.00 pm at the Temple.
The classes are conducted with the goal of teaching our children the Indian/ Desi cultural heritage along with passing on knowledge of Hinduism. This helps improve confidence and self-esteem in these children, enhancing their personality overall. It helps develop a sense of responsibility which then will help them make the right choices in society.
These classes are conducted in a fun manner, incorporating games and a lot of interaction with the teacher. All classes are conducted in English. Parents are usually welcome to attend, but may leave the children with the teacher for the duration of the class too.
The following activities and lessons are including in the classes:
- Hindu Cultural practices and customs such as saying Namaste
- Hindu Festivals – why they are celebrated, common traditions
- Hindu Gods and mythological stories such as from Ramayan and Mahabharata
- Common Shlokas and Mantras, with their meanings
- Moral values through the medium of stories
- Hindu symbols through drawing and other actvities
- Simple yoga asanas such as Padmasana, Surya Namaskar, etc
- Indian Traditional games such as Kabaddi, Pithu etc
- Access to the temple library and weekly check-out of books